Westlake Village Mediation Attorney
Spouses getting divorced in California are encouraged to address various issues through mediation before leaving it to the court to address matters like child custody. If spouses can come to agreements via mediation, the California family court system is less burdened.
Are you getting a divorce? If so, a Westlake Village mediation attorney with the Law Offices of Ronald K. Stitch can provide valuable assistance. With a professional’s guidance, you can prevent your divorce from becoming an unreasonably messy experience.
When to Hire a Westlake Village Mediation Lawyer
You may require the services of a mediation attorney when:
- Divorcing a spouse
- Addressing disputes that may arise before and after a divorce is finalized, such as those
involving child custody, child support, visitation, spousal support, property division, etc.
That’s not an exhaustive list. If you suspect you may need mediation services, schedule a consultation with our Westlake Village mediation and family law firm to learn more about how we may be able to help.
Westlake Village Mediation Cases: What the Process Involves
The specific steps the mediation process may involve can vary on a case-by-case basis. A typical mediation case involves:
- First Free Consultation: The purpose is to introduce the parties to the mediation process and to make sure that both parties are comfortable with the mediator.
- Several appointments: It’s typically necessary to address the issues being discussed in mediation throughout multiple appointments. Both spouses will need to attend these appointments. The purpose of these appointments is for spouses who are getting divorced (or, in the case of post-marital disputes, who’ve already divorced one another) to address their areas of disagreement healthily and civilly.
- Agreement: Once it appears that all issues have been thoroughly discussed and resolved, a mediator will draft an agreement based on the content of the mediation sessions. This document should describe in thorough and accurate detail the specifics of the agreements the two spouses have arrived at. If both spouses are satisfied, they will sign the agreement and the mediator will submit it to the court for final approval. While there are exceptions, typically, the court will approve, making the terms of the agreement official.
The Benefits of Mediation in California
Mediation can yield many benefits for all parties involved with and affected by it. They include:
- Guarding against unnecessary stress during a divorce
- Allowing spouses to preserve a friendly relationship once a divorce is finalized
- Allowing spouses to exercise greater control over important matters like child custody
instead of allowing the courts to make important decisions for them
- Minimizing the hardships children may face throughout the divorce process
- Potentially reducing the amount of time it takes to finalize a divorce, which can reduce its cost
Contact a Westlake Village Mediation Attorney
Having represented more than one thousand clients in divorce and family law cases, Westlake Village mediation attorney Ronald K. Stitch is uniquely qualified to help you navigate the mediation process. Learn more by contacting our firm online or calling us at 818-237-4574.